Textiles and Clothing
- Ph.D. Auburn University 1994
- M.S. Donghua University 1984
- B.S. Donghua University 1982
Faculty Research Interests
Research on protective clothing for professionals including biological protection, chemical protection, fire and heat protection;
Research on functional and environmentally friendly textile materials and processes including biosynthesis of colorants and functional chemicals;
Research on high through production of thermoplastic nanofibers and functional membranes, as well as sensors for chemical and biological agents
Collaborative research on materials uses, environmental and societal impact, life-cycle and risk assessments, and new technologies of disposable and reusable medical textiles
Fiber and textile research using advanced polymer chemistry; Development of novel functional textiles and nanofibrous materials; Development of personal protective clothing materials and personal use sensors for biological and chemical hazards; Development of novel materials from biomasses including protein, cellulose, lignin and colorants;
Honors and Affiliations
- 1998-2003 -- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (NSF)
- 2004-2005 -- Director’s awards and Circle of Excellence, US National Textile Center (NTC)
- 2007 -- J. W. Weaver Best Paper Award, AATCC
- 2007-2010 -- Chang Jiang Scholar Professor at Donghua University, China Ministry of Education
- 2013-present -- Associate editor of Journal of AATCC Research
- 2013-present -- Associate editor of Fashion and Textiles
Most Recent Publications (total over 200)
- Abolfazl Aghanouri and Gang Sun, Hansen Solubility Parameters As A Useful Tool in Searching Solvents for Soy Proteins?RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 1890–1892 DOI: 10.1039/c0xx00000x.
- Abolfazl Aghanouri and Gang Sun, Characterization of Conformational Structures of Plant Proteins in Solutions, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2015, 54 (1), pp 188–197 DOI: 10.1021/ie5032502.
- Jing Zhu and Gang Sun, Bio-functionalized nanofibrous membranes as a hybrid platform for selective antibody recognition and capturing, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 28115-28123, DOI: 10.1039/C5RA01140J.
- Bolin Ji, Peixin Tang, Kelu Yan, Gang Sun, Catalytic Actions of Alkaline Salts in Reactions between 1,2,3,4-Butanetetracarboxylic Acid and Cellulose: II. Esterification, Carbohydrate Polymers, V132 (2015) 228–236.
- Cunyi Zhao and Gang Sun, Catalytic Actions of Sodium Salts in Direct Esterification of 3,3′4,4′-Benzophenone Tetracarboxylic Acid with Cellulose, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2015, 54 (43), pp 10553–10559.
- Xiaojie Chen, Dandan Hou, Lu Wang, Qian Zhang, Jiahan Zou, and Gang Sun, Antibacterial Surgical Silk Sutures Using a High-Performance Slow Release Carrier Coating System, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2015, 7 (40), pp 22394–22403.
- Hou A, Feng G, Zhuo J, Sun G. UV Light-Induced Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species and Antimicrobial Properties of Cellulose Fabric Modified by 3,3',4,4'-Benzophenone Tetracarboxylic Acid. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2015 Dec 23;7(50):27918-24. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.5b09993.
- Bolin Ji, Huan Qi, Kelu Yan. Gang Sun Catalytic actions of alkaline salts in reactions between 1,2,3,4-butanetetracarboxylic acid and cellulose: I. Anhydride formation, Cellulose (2016) 23:259-267.
- Huan Qi, Yangen Huang, Bolin Ji, Gang Sun, Feng-ling Qing, Chunyan Hu, Kelu Yan, Anti-crease finishing of cotton fabrics based on crosslinking of cellulose with acryloyl malic acid, Carbohydrate Polymers 135 (2016) 86–93.
- Bolin Ji, Kelu Yan. Gang Sun, Effects of acid diffusibility and affinity to cellulose on strength loss of polycarboxylic acid crosslinked fabrics, Carbohydrate Polymers. Volume 144, 25 June 2016, Pages 282–288.
- Abolfazl Aghanouri and Gang Sun, Prediction of Solubility Behavior of Globular Plant Proteins with Hansen Solubility Parameters: A Conformational Study, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016, 4 (4), pp 2337–2344.
- Peixin Tang, Bolin Ji, Gang Sun, Whiteness improvement of citric acid crosslinked cotton fabrics: H2O2 bleaching under alkaline condition, Carbohydrate Polymers, V147, 2016, Pages 139–145.
- Bolin Ji, Kelu Yan. Gang Sun, Investigation on functional properties of 1,2,3,4-butanetetracarboxylic acid crosslinked fabrics impacted by molecular structures and chemical affinity of catalysts, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2016, 55 (18), pp 5216–5222, DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.6b00159.
- TXC 6 Every Fall
- TXC 163 and 163L every Spring
- Team teaching with Susan Kaiser of TXC 293 every winter. Not repeatable.
- FPS/EMS 250E Special Topics of Polymers-Functional polymers